Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Golden Rule

I am fiercely overprotective of any child I am put in charge of. When I am responsible for them, I will love them and care for them as they were my own. Why? Because when I have children and entrust another person to their care, that is exactly what I will expect from them.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Since Saturday, I have been advocating for a resident who has severe celiac disease. I met with staff, I sent emails, I asked nicely; until last night. The kid told me he had ulcers in his mouth - an indication that he'd been consuming gluten. I literally flew into a rampage. I went upstairs to find my boss, then to the schedule to find my other boss on call. I called him and again explained the severity of the situation. He assured me he would take care of it. I am happy to report that the dining hall is now preparing specifically gluten free meals and that the resident, my boss and I will be meeting on a weekly basis to discuss meal options.

Today, I had to take a kid to the doctor. He was having some trouble with his legs and needed to get them checked out. The doctor's visit turned into a soaking wet fiasco. He and I had to make it there and back in the torrential downpour that ensued in Boston this afternoon. Neither of us had umbrellas.

I have anxiety about public transportation, well I had it before today. Normally, I like to do test runs everywhere so I know where I'm going. Today, there was no time for that. The kid had to get there on time and in one piece. I left all my anxiety at the door and focused. I made sure he felt as safe and cared for as he would have if he were at home. I did what I had to do and he was grateful.

Now, I am sitting listening to frat boys keep my ballerinas awake. I've already complained to the res hall manager, my coworkers and my boss. It will be resolved because my girls have to sleep. They need their rest to be able to perform to their greatest highest good.

I love kids. I love what I do. I do what I do because I love so fiercely. I celebrate this aspect of myself everyday. I appreciate each and every one of them for allowing me to help them. They make understand why I was put on this Earth and for that I am incredibly humbled and eternally grateful.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment/advice/rant? Leave it here!