Monday, July 13, 2009

Spooning Almost Always Leads to Forking

I have this long standing joke/analogy with some of my students re: teenage sexuality. The subject came up when one of my allegedly promiscuous male students remarked about how after a date, he brings his lady friends home to watch movies. As one who is not too far removed from teenage life, I know *exactly* what happens when one "watches movies." The joke goes a little something like this:

If you're gonna watch movies, be sure to keep the DVDs in their cases. I know some people like to tell you that DVDs play better when they aren't in their cases, but it's not true. DVDs ALWAYS play the best when they are kept in their cases. When you don't keep them in their cases, DVDs are susceptible to all kinds of dust, scratches, food particles. Some dust, food particles and scratches can be easily buffed away, but some are permanent. For the permanent ones, no amount of DVD cleaner or rubbing them on your pant leg can get rid of them. You may think you cleaned them off, but the permanent ones always come back when you least expect it.

Furthermore, if you don't keep the DVDs in their cases, you could end up with blu-rays. I know what you're thinking: blu-rays are so cute and tiny. Trust me: no teenager needs a blu-ray. They're expensive and once you have one, you can never go back to not having one.

There is nothing wrong with deciding that you don't want to watch movies at all. Maybe you prefer ice cream and bowling; both well lit and fun activities. There is nothing wrong with ice cream and bowling. With ice cream and bowling, you will never end up with scratches on your DVD or, worse, blu-rays.

Needless to say, they thought this was a screaming riot.

I chose to give them veiled advice because I wasn't sure where the school stood on the issue. I do know, however, were I stand on the issue. Regardless of what my (or your) personal politics are: teenagers have the right to know about their sexuality so that they may make an informed decision. Period. How can you expect anyone to make a decision about their lives and their health without giving them all of the information they need first?

I don't appreciate or agree with our society devaluing teenagers. I have worked and currently work with, some very bright and very talented teenagers. I am honored to know them. I wouldn't want anything to happen to them because they lacked the knowledge to make an informed decision about their health. Would you?

1 comment:

  1. what a great teacher you are! i wish i would have had someone like you in my school. keep up the great work--and the awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete

Have a comment/advice/rant? Leave it here!